Enhanced security is a fact of life in our world today.
Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, there is a recognized need for heightened awareness and security
measures for all venues in which large numbers of persons assemble. These include public gathering places such as:
hotels; restaurants; retail outlets; sports arenas; convention centers; entertainment venues; and subways, buses and
other transportation modes, including domestic passenger vessels and terminals.
Over the past few years, the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship
Authority has made changes to our operations in compliance with the Maritime
Transportation Security Act of 2002. Although most of the changes are transparent to the average passenger,
some changes will require your cooperation.
We at the Steamship Authority hope to make these changes as painless as possible to our customers and we thank you
in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
- Only baggage accompanied by a ticketed passenger will be permitted on the luggage carts.
- Access of personnel other than ticketed passengers will be limited to those possessing official Steamship
- Walk-on passengers will be closely monitored by Steamship Authority personnel and, when appropriate,
law enforcement authorities.
- Random confirmation of passenger identification will be employed and random screening of passengers and their
belongings may also be conducted.
- Once boarded, passengers will not be permitted to disembark until the vessel has departed and reached its
- Because of the time requirements associated with security measures which may be in force, the only way to
guarantee that your vehicle reservation is honored is to arrive at least thirty (30) minutes prior to
- Only those vehicles which have been properly screened by terminal personnel will be boarded.